How to get the most out of MRUshift
Conferences are not meant to give you the formula or the ‘how to’ do social media for your business, this is always going to be up to you. Attending a conference is much more than passively sitting in your seat and waiting for the eureka moment where you realize ‘that’s what I should be doing!’ and write down a 3 step plan to success. The key to getting the most out of a conference like MRU Shift is to have a game plan ahed of time:
- Have an open mind and prepare yourself to absorb information and learn. Knowing ahead of time that much of the information will be larger, thought-provoking concepts means you will not be furiously writing down bullet points from the speaker’s slides. Give your full attention to the speakers. Listen. Absorb. Reflect.
- Jot down the ideas that stand out to you during (or even better) after each speaker when you have had a minute to think back on what the important ideas conveyed were. I would recommend to NOT tweet every phrase and idea during the presentation which is common; this means you are focusing on providing your followers with information rather than truly listening to what is being said, and could miss your ‘aha” moment.
- Network and meet other people at the conference that are not a part of your own circle. A great benefit of conferences like MRU Shift is to meet and interact with like-minded people IRL. Be active; ask why they are attending and what they hope to get out of the conference, what is the best thing they have learned so far, how will this affect what they do in business? Exchange business cards and connect with them online and keep the conversation going.
- Agree to give colleagues or your boss a presentation shortly after the conference is over. Not only will this share great information you learned with your team, knowing you need to relay information to others makes you pay better attention to each speaker!
- Take the top 5 or 10 ideas that you took away from the conference and ask yourself (and your team); how could this apply to what we do? This is a great exercise to go through – write down each of your top ideas on its own flip chart paper. Then brainstorm for each one how your business could apply it in real ways. Brainstorm as many ideas for each as you can and then go through all the ideas and choose the best ones for you. Do them.
I am so excited to hear from each of the speakers, we are so lucky to have them come to MRU Shift! I cannot wait to have my ideas challenged, my mind blown and be inspired to make changes on how MRU bridges the gap between online with traditional IRL.
If you are considering attending MRU Shift register now, the early bird deadline is April 23, 2012!